5 WEEK BLOCK COURSE / WEDNESDAY / 6 – 8:30PM
This is an introductory course to the “drop out” method of making glass vessels. Yes, it’s a funny name for a technique but that’s exactly what the glass does: in the kiln a thick slab of glass is slumped (dropped) through a ring mould and the depth of the vessel is merely limited by time and the height of the kiln. We will be making two colourful small vessels of approximately 12 cm diameter at the rim and a maximum of 10 cm deep with beautiful rich transparent colours.
Don’t worry if you are a beginner because this is easy cutting and for those who have previously dabbled with glass fusing, you will enjoy having something completely different to explore in glass.
During this course we will cover safety issues, glass cutting techniques (for beginners), design possibilities, basic colour theory, how some glass colours react with others, firing schedules and the processes the glass is undergoing in the kiln, breaking your vessel off the frame, and grinding and polishing the rim and base of the vessel. Exciting stuff!
What you get:
- Guidance & expert tuition from your teachers, Andrew Clarke and Fee Madigan;
- Tools to use on the day
- Materials to make your first drop vessel
- Your second vessel is your choice of colours at additional cost, or you may like to use some fusing glass you already have.
- Time for you, friendship and fun
Tea, coffee and soft drinks available for gold coin donation
What to bring:
- If you have glass tools, please bring them with you.
- Apron (optional);
- closed in shoes;
- towel / tea towel;
- black 0.7 Sharpie permanent marker and a thin white paint pen (available from Office Works or newsagents);
- Visual Art Diary and pencil/rubber
- Safety Glasses;
- Your creativity
Full price $380
Deposit $80 to secure your spot
5 WEEK BLOCKS
Suitable for ages 16+ years